Chinese Can't Buy Land! Are we not citizens of Brunei?

Voice of Brunei Darussalam
Rakyat Cina Brunei

Chinese Can't Buy Land! Are we not citizens of Brunei?

Post by Rakyat Cina Brunei » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:00 am

According to statistics, there are 43,100 (JPKE) Chinese living in Brunei. The majority of them are Red IC holders (permanent residents). Out of the 43,100 only about 9,000 are Yellow IC (Brunei Citizens).

In the 60s, the demographics of the population of Chinese in Brunei was more than double what it is today. Around 26% of the population back then in Brunei were ethnic Chinese. Today it constitutes only about 10% of the population of Brunei. This was partly due to an exodus of Red IC Chinese who migrated to Canada and Australia during the 80s and 90s. The reason for the exodus was said to be that they were stateless, they could not own land and do not even have a passport to travel. But that was the Red IC Chinese. I am a Yellow IC Chinese.
During independence in 1984, the population of the Yellow IC Chinese in Brunei was about 9000. Today the population of the Yellow IC Chinese is estimated to be around 10,000. Hardly any growth.

With a total population of 443,593 (July 2017 est. IndexMundi). This means that the Yellow IC Chinese constitute of only 2.2% of the population.
This is where I being a Yellow IC Chinese began to ask questions on land ownership. Over the years, there have been many unwritten laws that was applied to Yellow IC Chinese on land ownership. Initially there were unwritten laws that limits the number of acreages of land ownership to a maximum of 5 acres. Then that number was reduced to 2 acres. The last I heard was 1 acre.

I was born, bred, grew up and live my whole life here. Brunei is my home. My only home. And please don't insult me by telling to "Balik Cina". China is not my home. Brunei is my home.
I was already most unhappy about the land situation then. Only that it became worse. Recently I was told that Yellow IC Chinese cannot buy or transfer any more land under their name. A Chinese parent could not transfer his land to his children. The only land transaction that can happen to a Yellow IC Chinese is a 60 years lease. Thus, a Yellow IC Chinese freehold or perpetuity land can only be passed onto his Chinese children into a 60 years lease.

tamade

Re: Chinese Can't Buy Land! Are we not citizens of Brunei?

Post by tamade » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:37 am

That is the tactic to slowly phasing out Chinese and eventually become a pure Malay country. long live MIB

Hadi

Post by Hadi » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:58 am

Tamade,
1. Are we not inundated with Chinese? There are everywhere. I was told at the island of PMB alone there are 10,000 Chinese. I heard more are coming.
2. I have yellow IC Chinese living not far from me that owns their home. So how accurate is RCB on his writting?

tamade

Post by tamade » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:52 pm

1. totally different issue. China is the only country interested in investing in Brunei in a large scale, hence lots of Hengyi's Chinese workers at PMB. but hey they are not part of Brunei PR, just foreign workers building the Chemical complex. Do you think Brunei government is that stupid allowing Brunei to be inundated with Chinese!
2. Do a survey on a few more local Chinese (if they allow to tell the truth), then you will find out if RCB's article is accurate....

Hadi

Post by Hadi » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:18 pm

tamade wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:52 pm
totally different issue. China is the only country interested in investing in Brunei in a large scale, hence lots of Hengyi's Chinese workers at PMB. but hey they are not part of Brunei PR, just foreign workers building the Chemical complex. Do you think Brunei government is that stupid allowing Brunei to be inundated with Chinese!
What is the difference? Chinese is Chinese. There are here on an excuse to build the refinery but mark my word many of the will be staying back. More will come during Phase 2. Brunei WILL BE INUNDATE BY CHINESE!
tamade wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:52 pm
2. Do a survey on a few more local Chinese (if they allow to tell the truth), then you will find out if RCB's article is accurate....
Well, you seemed to be quite outspoken in your views. Why don't you show us some evidence?

Rakyat Cina Brunei

Post by Rakyat Cina Brunei » Thu May 09, 2019 10:08 am

The situation is getting more common. More and more Chinese are affected. At first we thought that it only affects some unfortunate Chinese but recently it seems to be applied to all Chinese yellow IC holder. To accept a transfer to other Chinese, their perpetuity land will be converted to 60 years lease.